Wednesday, August 15, 2012

treating the symptoms of hypothyroidism

I was reading on a website that listed a whole bunch of hypothyroidism symptoms and thought -- not for the first time -- what we have here is really just a bunch of signs of malnutrition!

Weight gain -- FAR from specific to hypothyroidism
Depression -- ditto
Insomnia -- do i have to repeat it?
Swollen legs, feet, hands or abdomen -- okay, i'll change it up...
Constipation -- lack of magnesium and animal fat, ...etc.
Brittle nails -- amazing what fatty meat can do for this...
Rough dry skin -- more of the same
Menstrual irregularities -- back to "unspecific to hypo"
Fatigue -- can everyone say mi-to-chon-dri-al dys-func-tion?
Poor circulation -- [snort] diabetics don't have THIS...
Fluid retention -- and female hormones aren't to blame?  nor salt?  fooled me
Hoarse, husky voice -- iodine supplementation alone has been known to help this
Elbow or arm keratosis -- funny, i don't have this but my euthyroid husband does
Low or high blood pressure -- aw, c'mon!
Muscle weakness -- not buyin' it
Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks -- carbohydrate-linked, as i can attest
Sparse, coarse or dry hair -- eat some brisket, fergawdsake!  :-)  really, it's all about iron and dietary fat
Decreased memory -- ...uh ... i forget ... never mind  ;-)
Dull facial expression -- now they're confusing hypothyroid with stoopid
Inability to concentrate -- connected with carbohydrates and sleep deprivation ... oh, and iron AGAIN
Yellowing of the palms and skin -- ???  dare i suggest liver problems?
Muscle and joint pain -- if you don't believe THIS is diet-related, you badly need to do a Whole 30
Muscle cramps -- get your minerals!
Drooping eyelids -- ...where do they find these "symptoms" anyway?
Infertility -- ...how do i START listing all the things that contribute to this?
Morning Stiffness -- see what i said about muscle/joint pain ... or read the second paragraph here
Carpel tunnel syndrome -- means INFLAMMATION, that's all; systemic enzymes got rid of that!
Dry and irritated eyes -- yeah, and Paul J attributed that to "glucose deficiency"....
Elevated cholesterol -- okay, gotta be specific about particles; thyroid deficiency DOES limit LDL receptors
Reduced heart rate -- unless there are adrenal complications, when heart rate is fast
Cold intolerance -- unless there are adrenal complications (again), which make for heat intolerance
Slow reflexes -- now, this IS a classic symptom, and i'm not familiar with other etiologies for it
Puffy face -- granted
Cold hands and feet -- yep
Low body temperature -- DEFINITIVE, and you don't need a damned blood test to check it
Slow speech -- i saved this one for last, on purpose.  I'm not sure if "they" mean what sometimes happens with me, but from time to time i have a definite "disconnect" between my brain's "language circuits" and my mouth.  It's why i always come across better in writing than verbally, when i want to be precise in the way i phrase my thoughts.

Honestly, in making up this list, did some researchers just get a roomful of hypothyroids together and ask them what physical limitations they have?  'Cause that's what it sure sounds like.  Really, why try to throw a prescription at a patient ... IF a proper diet can fix what's wrong?

As my long-time readers have heard ad nauseum, i'm terribly fond of the book "Strong Medicine."  If you start reading at the last paragraph of this page and go on a couple of pages more, you'll get an interesting perspective on the use of thyroid in the treatment of "symptoms of hypothyroidism."

6 comments:

  1. Tess, Im reading this book now, really like it. This list of symptoms.is a pharmalogical goldmine, rx speaking , but oh so very blunt a tool, as you swiftly point out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i had learned a very little bit about nutrition (from Dr. Atkins and my own OD), and then read the list of symptoms, it LEAPED out at me that these were indications that my form of hypothyroidism is largely malnutrition-based. the only question left was, am i permanently damaged? i'm still working on that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for these posts Tess! They are rich with information and support and I so appreciate your writing about hypothyroidism. I'm off to see my MD in a couple of hours to discuss my recent foray into being treated for low T3/normal TSH (with Levothyroine & Liothyronine)and my low Ferritin. I imagine very soon now I'll have to make a choice that may not be what is recommended by the establishment...we'll see. Anywho...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad if my pursuits have been of value to you! good luck at the doctor's office!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I got exactly what I usually get when I visit my doctor-
    (see comment on Sid's blog re: Mitchondrial Psychiatry (IV)).
    MD did what was indicated by conventional standards of care; checked my lungs & heart, agreed I'm not hypothyroid & I can quit the meds and told me to exercise more because my recent onset of shortness of breath is probably just related to deconditioning.
    Guess it's time to get back to walking more often and re-visit the supplements and see what I can tweak or add.

    ReplyDelete