Thursday, August 2, 2012

great "old" bloggers without recent postings

Sometimes, i scroll down my homepage looking at the right-hand column, and marvel at the lack of recent postings by some of the people i read so constantly in the past.  :-(  Right now, of course, a lot of them are getting ready for presentations at the upcoming Ancestral Health Symposium, but that doesn't "excuse" them for their silence (in some cases) for months.  So, what do you do when you want some encouraging or enlightening reading and there's nothing fresh -- you start reading archives.  Something made me think of the Eadeses' blogs, and i went back to Dr. Mike's and reread his discussion of their holiday "misbehavior," and i started following some links to his old postings that i didn't follow before.

The one he wrote back in '09 on why it's easy to slip out of our low-carb ways even though we make progress and feel great on it, is a MASTERPIECE.  He likens eating low-carb now with being a non-smoker back in the '50s, and i found him very convincing.

Even though the way "we" eat makes us feel good and lose weight, sometimes it feels like swimming upstream in this world of ours.  Some restaurants make it darned hard to do what we know we should, and sometimes the people who should be encouraging us make it more difficult.  When in the middle of a plateau, it can be easy to start doubting.  Unfortunately, THAT'S LIFE.  I like to think we've cobbled together a funny little internet family of our own, in which like-minded people half a world away will encourage us when we're feeling a little defeated, congratulate us when we do well and give us good advice and information when we have a question or problem.

I don't know if Gallier2 ever visits here (he's never commented), otherwise i'd ask him to correct my grammar/spelling:

Vivent les communautés internets!

9 comments:

  1. I was just looking the lack of new posts and thinking it may have something to do with the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blogosphere has been really slow lately. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing with people being away on holidays.

    I also wonder if this year's AHS will bring as much "excitement" as the last one. I take it Taubes's invitation got lost in the post this year? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taubes, Eades, the classics. But still lots of new talent. And some of the freshest ideas on the more informal blogs. Time marches on. Ok, insula built up and ready for another day without 'our daily bread'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just read the list of presenters and their themes for the AHS2 -- can't wait to watch the videos of some of them! [Taubes will be beating the same dead horse, but SG has moved on to another subject (nominally, at least).] :-) i expect it won't be as emotional as last year's, but i guess we'll find out!

    yeah, the more i think about it, the more "insula-building" seems the reason i want to read low-carb literature when i'm in a big push to lose more fat....

    enjoy the Olympics, ladies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eades does a lot on Twitter these days.

    As for me, this year has provided more blog fodder than I ever wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. has it, how so?

      although i was sorta dragged into doing FB, as my kids use it, i resisted doing Twitter also....

      Delete
    2. Well, I had a sinus infection, a friend has fibromyalgia, I ended up in an ambulance from a migraine headache, my father had a stroke, and now I have injuries from my bike wreck. But I've come up with home remedies I wouldn't have otherwise.

      I can't stand Facebook. I'm supposed to be interested in trivia about people who've never called me and never ask how I am or what I'm doing? If they have time to post 5,000 pictures of themselves, they have time to drop a line.

      I just read tweets put out by people whose work interests me. I loathe the idea of tweeting "Making ice cream now!" I like to at least pretend I have better things to do.

      Delete
    3. oh, gotcha -- i'm on the same page now. :-)

      Delete
  6. :-) there is a lot of garbage and pointless chatter on FB, but i also use it as a place to pass along the informative stuff i find on the blogs. i was reminded to append this, because i'm just about to link Chris Masterjohn's latest to my friends and family who are interested in this sort of thing, but less-read in it than i am.

    ReplyDelete