Saturday, August 11, 2012

...and a quick note

My husband has commandeered my time to do some yard work today, so i'm having to put the thyroid studies on the back burner for awhile.  :-(  I was finding interesting stuff, too!

On the other hand, all the stuff that has been neglected during the hot weather is getting its share of attention.  And it's such a pleasure being outside while the temperature is under 80!  The dead canes on the rose bushes are gone, and i don't have any wounds to show for it -- now THAT is a miracle.  Those roses usually "bite" when i try to groom them.  You don't have to duck to get past the pin-oak anymore, and you have to duck less under the dogwoods.

I've been wearing my new Vibrams since this time yesterday, too, and i LOVE them.  Two long walks with the dog, countless trips to the basement, and the pruning work have not presented any challenges they couldn't handle -- and we have those nasty sweet-gum balls all over the front yard.  :-P  Those hurt through moccasins, and can turn your ankle in ordinary shoes.

J made shirred eggs for our brunch, using the breakfast sausage i made from the "Paleo Comfort Foods" cookbook and the last of our duck eggs.  YUM!!!

6 comments:

  1. I have about 30 rose bushes in my yard, and usually don't get badly bitten at pruning time in the spring. (Long loppers and thick leather gloves help, and only three of my roses have big thorns on them.)

    Just because plants don't run away or bite back doesn't mean they want to be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are O-O-OLD roses that were here when we moved in, so i have no idea what kinds they are, but they smell heavenly. :-) ...i guess i should explain to them that i'm just trying to help, and that i promise not to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops--I should have explained that a year or two ago when I got badly scratched by one of my roses, it reminded me of that line in the Vegetarian Myth about plants not wanting to be eaten--even though Lierre Kieth was referring to chemicals in grains. I really didn't get a head injury from my accident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol -- i think they must object to us cutting off their beautiful parts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a yard and envy people who do. Make the most of it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we try to. :-) unfortunately, i'm not a very talented gardener.

    ReplyDelete