Wednesday, August 1, 2012

new thoughts about the Salad of Doom

I went to Philosophy of Weight Management, as i so often do, to look over Fred's list of interesting blogs and ended up reading one about some benefits from glucosamine (amongst other things).  The light came on again.

The authors of a study found that their "substances of interest" caused a beneficial change in gut biota, and there was a cute little drawing to show which are our friends, and which cause trouble (sending a message to the liver to deploy inflammatory mediators).  The list of troublemakers included many familiar names ... and it struck me -- lettuce is notorious for frequency of contamination.  Just SUPPOSE one tiny little smidge of nastiness was lurking in my romaine.  The general discouragement of intestinal misbehavior that my diet promotes might have kept me from getting sick, but not from having to do battle with an invader.

Doesn't have to be true; just thinkin'....  (The previous time i had eaten the same dish at the same place, the result was DIFFERENT.)

4 comments:

  1. I do take umbrage with the "museum"comment. Now really Tess, we see your bright pretty mug! Suppose if you're a museum piece then Im the C R Y P T K E E P E R ..... hehe . No thoughts on salad. Never intend to eat it again, except in cases of politeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol -- thank you! ;-) you've no idea how long it took me to get a decent picture to post -- i'm VERY unphotogenic. camera angle is crucially important.... like Wooo, though, i'm a curious case, which is why i offered myself like a relic to study.

    i wanted to be able to keep salads in my diet, what with their exceptionally low carb score, but this experience has tended to disillusion me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat salads the odd time out of weird guilt more than anything else. My mother loves to tell me every so often how if I keep eating like this I will die very soon. I asked her once to tell me what nutrients are in lettuce and tomato that you won't get from meat and dairy. She couldn't really respond coherently. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) nope, people believe what they've heard over and over in magazines and on television, when it comes to nutrition. the fact that there's no real science behind it doesn't occur to them. your mother probably knows about as much as mine, when it comes to confounding variables in those epidemiological studies that "prove" fruitsandvegetables are "healthy"....

    ReplyDelete