Tuesday, February 28, 2012

we interrupt your regularly-scheduled program for this announcement

Sunday was a busy and discombobulated day.  Flying may take less actual travel-time than pursuing the same course on the ground, but it's far more upsetting to the routine.  Had i driven for the eight or nine hours which that  evening's trip monopolized, it would have been a piece of cake (piece of steak?) for me to comply with the Strong Medicine requirements.  Three half-pound chunks of meat and three coffees, a quart and a half of water.  Done.

Instead, i ended up eating a lot of cheese (for the first time this year), a little shrimp and smoked salmon, melon and nuts, and one glass of red wine for dinner.  Since then, not only is Ralph giving me more pain than usual, but my hips and legs in general are aching.  And one shoulder.  Even my eyes have been dry and itchy (not from the flying -- that's different), which i learned is a common symptom of this sort of food sensitivity.  It doesn't look good for casein!

I remember my surprise and delight after a stiffness-free drive of some 12 or more hours, two different days last month.  Opposite situation here, and one gets to move around a LOT more in a plane than behind the wheel of a car.  My mood, energy and sense of well-being have been disrupted too, though i concede that i had way too little sleep on Sunday night, to blame it ALL on diet.

New dietary conclusion and rule:  being freshly self-diagnosed as dairy-sensitive, cheese must be eaten IN EXTREME MODERATION.  Butter seems to be fine.  Cream definitely requires a careful test period.  Ditto for yogurt/kefir.

[sniff, sniff, pout]  Dammit, i love cheese....

2 comments:

  1. Food sensitivities are very tricky for me to identify, since I sometimes eat lots of different foods over the course of a day.

    As best as I can tell, here are some of my body's food issues:

    1. MY BODY DEFINITELY DOES NOT LIKE REALLY BIG MEALS.
    About 1-3 hours after a huge meal, I often have terrible upper left chest pains. Cardiologists say that my coronary arteries are badly blocked and that I need a quadruple bypass. However, to me the symptoms clearly seem more like a digestive issue -- maybe hiatal hernia or GERD. I don't have those pains if I just eat frequent small meals.

    2. MY BODY HAS A LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH WHEAT.
    I often crave grains, especially wheat and bread, but those meals leave me feeling terrible for days. And the discomfort doesn't seem to be localized; instead, I just feel bad everywhere.

    3. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT I FEEL BEST WHEN I DON'T EAT ANYTHING.
    Oh, how I wish I could fast all the time. The next best thing seems to be to eat very light meals, especially light soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, are you familiar with systemic enzymes? i've been using them for a number of years, and i swear they make a difference. check this out:
      http://www.totalityofbeing.com/FramelessPages/Articles/WhatAreSystemicEnzymes.htm

      Delete