Thursday, February 23, 2012

back to the definitive program

I found the "limitation of matter" yesterday, lol....

The scale was down a scant 1/4 pound this morning.  Yesterday's intake consisted of the last patty of my chuck/liver/parsley/pepper mixture WITH SALT, four full cups of black coffee (half decaf), 3 glasses of water (plus the amount i drank while taking my supplements), 6 oz. of pot roast with salt and pepper, half a cup of german-style potato salad, 4 ounces of sake and 2 of traminette.  I didn't "exercise" at all (besides the innumerable stairs i climb as a daily necessity, in this house).

I woke after 8 hours or thereabouts, with more enthusiasm for compliance with the "Strong Medicine" than i have the last couple of days.  Between the lower calorie/protein intake and the splurge in wine, i saw on the scale what i wanted AND expected -- a small loss.  It's comforting to be able to predict what will result from one's actions!

So, this morning i DID get my before-breakfast activity (stationary bike), my single cup of coffee and fatty-meat ration.  Brother, does it make a difference when the meat is cooked RIGHT -- i put a nice marbled chuck roast in the crockpot yesterday instead of doing it on the stovetop.  (My stove is impossible to turn down far enough, even using a "flame tamer"!  Frankly, for any kind of "cheap" roast, the crockpot does SO MUCH BETTER a job of getting it tender....)

I'll continue to follow the program today, and anticipate a 1/2# loss tomorrow -- it will be reassuring if i'm right, but if the scale is even lower, i certainly won't cry!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your progress!

    I love my crockpot, too. I use it for gentle cooking of meat, and especially to make bone broth. It's such a no brainer, which is perfect for me, many days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried making bone broth in my crockpot, over a series of days, and i wasn't pleased with the product. how did you do it? did it turn out "drinkable" like a good stock, or was it more watery (like mine)? i realize the nutritional value was there, even if i didn't taste much -- but i wanted the flavor, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ususally just let it go overnight. I tend to "overbone" my stock, so often it turns out gelatinous after it cools. I have had watery broth in the past, but that was when I underboned! The happy medium would probably be ideal, if one could hit it (thought I don't mind gelatinous broth, it heats up fine, and the taste is there).

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you brown your beef bones in the oven first? do you use vinegar or another acid? :-) it seems to be the beef that lets me down -- chicken-foot stock is pretty reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't brown first, but I do use vinegar when I remember! Most of my experience is with chicken and turkey. Come to think of it, I don't think I've made a beef bone broth in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete