Tuesday, March 5, 2013

poor diet + poor sleep = catching his cold

My husband has been stuffy-headed and sneezing for a few days.  The rough breathing has made him rather restless at night and you know what that means -- we've both had less than perfect sleep (and shorter-than-usual tempers).  When he got up to clear his head at 3 a.m. i tried to not wake up completely but didn't succeed.  I popped some systemic enzymes first (they help defeat viruses) along with a zinc lozenge, then a little later i took a couple of capsules of echinacea with benedryl and aspirin to help me get back to sleep (too late in the morning for melatonin).

I'd been blaming my dietary excursions for the lowered energy and worsened mood i've had the last few days, but now i'm inclined to suspect the virus.  When i finally got up i had a tender throat and i can feel the inflammation in my upper-respiratory passages.  I had the kind of REALLY weird dreams i only get when i have a bug, too.

:-(  Well, i hope it doesn't get any worse, AND i hope it doesn't last too long!  I'll be taking it easy today and doing all the right things for healing -- napping if i feel the need, forgoing alcohol, drinking chicken broth and continuing the special supplements.  Certainly doing no significant brain work -- i don't think i have one today....

15 comments:

  1. Hi Tess

    Blame everything on your husband and you won’t go too far wrong. Hope you are feeling tip-top soon.

    Kind regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) thanks, Eddie! ...isn't that what spouses are for, to pass the buck to? i cheerfully accept blame for J's grey hairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...do you think viruses can be passed via internet? I suddenly came down with a sore throat yesterday afternoon (hurt to swallow) and feeling really exhausted, like I was coming down with something! Throat feels better this morning and I don't feel quite as achey/tired..so maybe I was reacting to something I ate (though I ate nothing different than my usual)!
    Hope you feel better soon. Take it eeeaaasssyyy.
    (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get well, Tess. Don't forget to eat some raw garlic with your broth, and eggs yolks are food number one when you are sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. had some garlic -- ALWAYS a good idea! :-) i'm not feeling as crummy now as i did this morning, just tired, so i'm gonna turn in early.

      Delete
  5. Get well soon. Glad I am not the only one who starts to get sick and can not figure out what is wrong. I have been sick on my birthday (mid March) almost every year my entire life.
    It's like clockwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-( bummer!!! "knowing" that it's coming, can you start taking extra-good care of yourself? ...well, i just slept about 9.5 hours, so that's gotta help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Well, that didn't take long. Been sick since the 9th and Alieve is the only thing keeping me upright at this point.
      I often crave fish when I am not feeling well.
      Must be the extra Omega6 that my bode wants.

      Delete
    3. yeah, i felt really crappy for a day, but mostly it was loss of energy, body aches and mood! since i significantly cleaned up my diet and started supplementing, illnesses in which infection was strongly to blame dropped off remarkably! hope YOU feel better soon!

      Delete
  7. A while ago I started to use the elderberry supplement when I just suspected I was heading toward a flu .I read about it in the Dr. Bernstein's book. The only very short flu I had since nov.2007 was last year after being jet-lagged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i tried elderberry a few years ago and saw no effects -- keep us informed about how you like it!

      Delete
  8. Elderberry is great for flu such as swine flu but little use for a cold. It is specific for N1H1 and probably has action against most related N-H type flus.

    Enzymes work because they break down food toxins that aggravate symptoms. Like avoiding dairy and other things you might usually tolerate.

    Vitamin C and lots of it, that's my best answer for anything respiratory. Bromelian with antibiotics for pneumonia, elderberry for flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, THAT'S interesting -- what's the mechanism with the elderberry? ...mercifully, i've never had pneumonia! :-)

      Delete