Thursday, April 5, 2012

rolling in his grave

Poor Dr. Atkins!  What has happened to his company since he died....  The man wasn't perfect, for heaven's sake -- but the good he did in spreading the low-carb word is being DESTROYED by the greedy idiots who have been directing the course of his legacy since he went to his reward. 

Before i discovered the "metabolic advantage," i tried to manage my weight by means of "conventional wisdom" -- that is to say, i starved myself till i couldn't stand it any more, then lost ground when i started to eat like everyone around me.  As with everyone else, every attempt at weight loss was less productive than the time before.  I don't remember what inspired me to pick up his book, but it changed my life, and for the better.

I used to be constantly hungry on low-fat, even when my stomach was full; low-carb solved that.  I realize now, from all i've read over the past few years, that i may have been replete with water-soluble vitamins, but woefully lacking in the rest -- not to mention minerals!  I began supplementing a few things RA recommended (and my physician added Iodoral as well), and my health improved as my waistline contracted.

He died only a year or two after i started his diet plan -- before i learned that a lot of ingredients in his shakes and bars were things i didn't want in my body.  I like to think that he would have authorized a reformulation of them, had he lived:  who knows!  But i'm reasonably certain he would NOT have gone down the popularization/inclusivism road which the company has followed, since.  Really:  the new Atkins "revolution" not only makes it look like all the others ("you CAN have cookies!") ... or maybe even worse.

What foils the usual low-carb dieter, if s/he gets past Induction in the first place, is playing with all the "toys" which give them the illusion of eating their cake and having it too -- and i'm using this expression advisedly.  All the treats, snacks and faux meals are NOT going to fix the broken behaviors and metabolisms that most dieters of ALL SORTS bring to the table (pun intended).

The big difference between "paleo low-carbing" and Atkins-style LC is not just the latter's inclusion of chemical cheats (including all the soy), or that the treats keep alive the perceived "need" of cookies, candy, etc.  Really -- this is the shortcoming of lots of other diets (**cough**WW**cough**) my friends have tried and ultimately failed with:  they don't retrain the appetite and personal habits.

PaleoLC's advantage is the lack of ravenous appetite which is spurred by the semi-carb shortcuts.  Eating natural food helps restore a natural appetite -- and i'm not talking about natural almonds ground up and mixed with natural honey and natural eggs and natural mineral salts to make a natural CAKE....

(GRRRRR!)

2 comments:

  1. Tess:
    I agree about Dr. Atkins "rolling in his grave" scenario. He always went with the evidence no matter how much opposition was given. Although, there are others in the low-carb community who still don't think there is anything wrong with soy for example. Using almond meal and coconut flour may be ok for those who have reached their ideal weight but are still no-nos for me. They definitely stall my weight loss and trigger cravings. Not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, it certainly isn't. i use small quantities of both from time to time, always remembering they're not going to help me lose weight. as a hypothyroid, the only soy products i don't avoid as much as possible are the fermented ones -- miso or tamari (wheat-free) once a month or so.

    ReplyDelete