Tuesday, October 21, 2014

is brain-fog a danger sign for dementia?

You have to wonder!

Dementia seems to be a situation in which the brain is not able to use energy the way it should.  Brain-fog seems to be a lesser manifestation of the same nature.

One of the very first things I noticed when I first went on Atkins, over a decade ago, was that a few days into it, I woke in the morning with a clear mind. 

Was it because I was no longer using wheat?  It had been a long time since sugar was a significant part of my diet, but I certainly wasn't limiting starches before that.  Up to that point, I had been a believer in the low-fat dogma that dominated the nutritional conversation since the '70s.  The New Diet Revolution was astonishing to me from cover to cover -- trying it out made me change almost the entire contents of my pantry.

Was it some other food that I used to eat, which disagreed with me in ways I didn't realize?  Maybe -- i'm more likely nowadays to wake up with brain-fog, when known allergens are rampant.  Could have been dairy, could have been FODMAPs, could have been yeast-encouragers....

No matter what it was, it was blatant -- low-carb was as good for my brain as it was for all my other parts.  Headaches became less common and thinking became sharper.  Ketosis rocks.

If nobody has yet conducted a study looking at past "fog" problems and current Alzheimer's patients, I sure wish they would....

2 comments:

  1. I wish they would too, but I think there's more potential for profits/grants in non-nutrition-related studies, so I'm not holding my breath. Pity.

    I also have much fewer headaches. It's nice.

    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, who gives a damn about simple ways of making people more healthy!? [sigh] ...this has been one of those days when handing in my Human card has sounded like a good idea....

      Delete