Friday, June 7, 2013

and HOW can 1972 Atkins induction fail one?

I'll tell you -- and it ain't the lack of healthywholegrainsfruitsandvegetables.  It's LETTUCE.

Vicious stuff.  If you've read this blog for any length of time, you might have noticed my comments about the Salad of Doom; also that Dr. Donaldson of "Strong Medicine" fame says it's one of the hardest things to digest that there are.  As a character reports in a book i love, he sometimes forgets he has asthma but asthma never forgets it has HIM -- it's the same with my digestive apparatus and that green leafy diet staple.

I wondered why i wasn't feeling a lot better and dropping pounds the way i should have.  I was doing my damnedest to get plenty of good fats and calories, an appropriate amount of protein, and even forgoing wine.  I've been sleeping well enough, not outrageously stressed, and although my allergies have been acting up a bit, it hasn't been miserable.  The inflammation hasn't GONE from my left knee, but it's getting better.  I realized early yesterday that one aspect of a healthily-running body wasn't quite what it ought to be ... and it HAS to be due to the lettuce.

That's the primary vegetable matter that Dr. Atkins originally sanctioned for the first week -- SALAD.  I could happily have forgone any vegetable matter AT ALL (save coffee), but i wanted my husband's strict week to be less onerous.  He's used to more variety in his meals than i had become accustomed to, and i wanted to indulge him as best one can, within the limits of induction rules.  I can handle a leaf here and a leaf there, but a salad or two every day is too much for me.

Well, yesterday and today i topped off my morning coffee consumption with a cuppa that included a good chunk of grassfed beef tallow -- that trick has never let me down yet.  I'm hoping that when the traffic jam disperses, the fat loss that HAS to have happened will become more apparent!

6 comments:

  1. I like how you classify coffee as a "vegetable". It's practically a food group for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D so's chocolate, and wine. i mean, they're not from animals ... so they're vegetables.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tess
    The good and bad of the humble or not so humble lettuce.I love all sorts Eddie prefers the crunch of iceberg but for you not so good.
    Look forward to hearing more ....

    All the best Jan



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just have to make sure i don't overdose on that dangerous herb.... ;-) romaine is my #1 choice.

      yesterday we had a "planned binge day" for social reasons, and today have been doing a fat-fast. [sigh of comfort]

      Delete
  3. OOoooooh fascinating insights here, Tess! I'm always keen for more reasons to avoid salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think all the new nutritional information that's come out in the last couple of decades makes one thing pretty clear -- the foods that we've been told to eat are sadly over-hyped! even non-starchy vegetables, the item most groups can agree upon, are not as beneficial as we imagine.

      Delete