Thursday, April 4, 2013

feeling better CAN be just a supplement away

Of course, that's not ALWAYS true....  ;-)  ...but it seems to be helping me this week.

Before i went out of town the last time, i ran out of cod-liver oil.  I placed an order for some caplets of the fermented stuff, and when it arrived i stuck it in the fridge and forgot about it.  I was resolved to eat my weekly liver and salmon, and get more sunshine, so why did i need to use the caps?  Mistake.  I can be so stupid sometimes!

When my husband is at home, my eating (not to mention drinking) is less disciplined.  Then, the climate has been dragging its feet, delaying the sort of weather i expect to see in spring.  Distracting stressful details of everyday living left their irritating effects, and i felt dragged-down, exhausted, and uninspired.  I was making sure to get my carnitine, pregnenolone and iodine, and trying harder to include two caps of epimedium every day, but my energy was NOT improving.

Digging around the back of the refrigerator the other day, i found the CLO bottle, and ... three days (doses) later i'm starting to feel a little more human again!  Ye gods, does it make a difference.  Synchronicitously, George sent me more vitamin-A info (THANK YOU!!!)  That bloody stuff is SO VALUABLE to me, either in the form of CLO or beef/chicken liver....  I obviously don't absorb it worth a damn from anything else!

I become so annoyed with myself -- when i learn things quickly and easily, i tend to retain the information rather poorly.  "Forgetting" the importance of vA:  only i could be so dumb!

Maybe i should stitch up a sampler, frame it and hang it in the bathroom, reminding myself of what supplements are actually crucial to my well-being.  MAYBE that would impress it indelibly on my faulty brain!

10 comments:

  1. Tess:
    Good to know that you've been finding stuff that actually helps. I have the opposite problem. I eat way to much liver and liverwurst. I love liver. I could eat it every day. Although I've heard that natural vitamin A is not as toxic as synthetic, I feel that maybe I'm still getting too muchm, not to mention all the iron. And last year I ordered a bottle of butter oil capsules. Completely unecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my understanding is, A and D need to be "balanced" just like iodine and selenium do.... up in Canada, i suppose you need to supplement D to get enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can sympathize Tess when my wife is at home my drinking habits can be less disciplined too ! LOL With the thought of better weather coming, this can only do us good.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    Kind regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you're a fisherman, I believe - how do you manage without (high-carb) beer??? ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Tess,
    Interesting. Are you thinking it is more of an effect on 'mood,' or something along the lines of an immune booster?
    best, Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an energy thing for ME! :-) I may not agree with Dr Lustig on everything, but I certainly do about his notion that quality of life can be measured by how much energy we expend....

      Delete
  5. Tess,
    My A's and D's are balanced as I take at least 10k D3 daily from about September to May due to lack of sunshine. I don't have a thyroid issue but I do supplement with iodine about every week or two. Selenium I get in my diet through liver which is jam-packed with it. However, I think we are often too obsessed with supplementation just for the sake of it. We need to evaluate why we need certain things, for example, lack of sunshine here warrants high D3 supplementation or I love liver so I'm getting tons of nutrients just eating it with an equal amount of onions and butter. And, of course, medical issues need to be considered. You are doing a great job in finding/experimenting with your own personal needs. That's what makes us great. If I had listened to my doctors I would have been 6 feet under by the time I was 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-). I'm sure glad you're still above ground!

      Delete
  6. Tess, I just started supplementation of iodine, selenium, L-tyrosine, and raw grassfed thyroid gland capsules (green pastures) and in just the last two weeks I've seen exceptional improvements to health. My estrogen shot up from a lowly 50 to about 150 (along with other hormones, testosterone etc), TSH is down, LH is significantly improved. All thanks to your blog for the supplement recommendations for treating hypothyroid.. I think my amenorrhea is on the way to being solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad you've found improvement!!! :-D supplementation probably won't help everyone, but i feel it can't hurt to make sure we give our bodies what they require to function.

      ooh, i didn't know Green Pastures offered that product -- i'll have to order some and try it! :-)

      Delete