Tuesday, July 1, 2014

last day at 58

... and on my birthday, I intend to be BAAAAADDDDD!  ;-)  With breakfast I intend to open a bottle of Veuve Cliquot.  I think i'll have eggs benedict, but i'm not entirely committed to it yet.  For dinner, lobster tail, maybe artichoke hearts, and i'm actually considering picking up some organic sweet-corn.  Home-made ice cream after, of course.  But I haven't decided if i'll make a tiny cherry pie or get a small watermelon -- we haven't had either for a long time.

When we become adults (and get beyond that count-every-penny stage), we have a tendency to treat ourselves more regularly to things that used to be rare.  Then, of course, they tend to become mundane things rather than real "treats"!  When I think of the things I used to eat in my twenties...!  My blood-sugar rises merely from the contemplation of it.

It's certainly no privation, eating the way I do nowadays, most of the time beef ribeye, filet mignon, rack of lamb, spareribs, wild-caught seafood, butter and rich sauces, asparagus and other low-carb vegetables, cream-based desserts occasionally....  I feel better and suffer less bloating by strictly limiting fruit, so fruit becomes SPECIAL.  A treat.

This is what fruit should be, in my opinion -- an occasional and seasonal splurge, not a three-times-a-day common occurrence. 

So the rather modest carb-binge that's going to occur will be that "rare treat" which only another low-carber can appreciate.  When a lot of my contemporaries would have a sugary, artificially-flavored cake and ice-cream, rife with industrial-seed-oils, my unaccustomed taste-buds will be reveling in their [gasp] fructose frenzy!  I think I can safely guarantee that i'll enjoy mine much more than they will theirs.

12 comments:

  1. How 'bout you cook down some fresh cherries with perhaps a tiny bit of honey, a splash of vanilla...and toss them on the ice cream? No grains, and delicious cherry wonderfulness on your ice cream.

    I avoid most fruits, but I do love my fresh cherries during cherry season, and so do my kidneys. Big time. :)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my family ice-cream recipe would be spoilt if "outside flavors" were introduced -- it's very special on its own. ;-) ...and thank you!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! Enjoy your feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! :-) i'm sure I shal!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! The birthday sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!!! i anticipate it will be!

      Delete
  4. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tess ........

    My star sign is 'Cancer' and I will be celebrating my 61st next week .... life just improves with age and the fact that my LCHF lifestyle is just brilliant. Sorry had to get that in - but it's so true. However, I may just share a small slice of birthday cake with my family next week..............

    Have a fantastic birthday and I'm raising a glass to you

    All the VERY VERY best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Jan! i hope your birthday is wonderful, too!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great day is planned...best wishes for a long and happy life hereafter. I know you will keep on keeping' on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you, Lauren! :-) we plan to go fishing, too -- if we're lucky we'll have a "mess" of crappie to fry the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Tess! And many more! Does Veuve Cliquot worth the fame? I have not tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Galina! VC is very good for the price, but we're also fond of Krug and Moet & Chandon -- a lot depends on what we find at the liquor store, and if any of them are on special. ;-) the Veuve Clicquot (sorry, I misspelled it above) we actually found at Costco not long ago, and stocked up!

      Delete