Thursday, April 3, 2014

angels dancing

...on the heads of pins, of course!

In my whole-archive reading of Hyperlipid, I'm well into that point where the comment section is full of an entire different caliber of people than it originally was.  Instead of the serious students of nutrition and metabolism, we now have the Monday-morning quarterbacks.  [sigh]

So many amateur debaters!  So many theoreticians!  So many people who don't have a horse in the race, but who love to try to convince each other that obscure physiological details matter in the cause and solution of obesity!

So many people who SHOULD have something better to do with their lives.  Are they doing this at work/school instead of attending to business?  If they're doing it in their evenings and nights, they probably need to re-think how they're wasting their youth!

I, and many others like me, have inborn (or acquired) health issues which can be ameliorated by diet and supplementation.  What I've learned in the past three years has improved the quality of my life immensely.  I've learned what foods make me feel good, and which ones sap my energy and damage my well-being.  My continuing trials of supplements and minor tweaks of macronutrient balance (within a LC-paleo template) are still teaching me about what my body doesn't do well, for which I NEED help.

But those healthy young people -- why aren't they out there DOING THINGS instead of obsessing over conditions that they'll never have to deal with?  It's a shame they're not concentrating on getting as much as they can out of life, their social possibilities, families and careers, instead of burning the midnight oil.  For the gods' sake, take advantage of this period in your lives!

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I'm inclined to post, sometimes not....I figure no one needs my two cents.
    I avoid the heavy threads but read them with amusement. I'm just a humble doc working on patient care and trying to stay alive in the crazy world of medicine.
    Love your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks -- I enjoy it when you weigh in, too! if all MDs had your attitude, medicine would be a much better field!

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's really the same person, posting under multiple account... DUM DUM DUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, if it's the same person he has a REALLY bad problem with schizophrenia.... ;-)

      Delete
  3. I don't think it's confined to just Hyperlipid's blog? There seems to be absurdist extremist analysis going on everywhere?

    People have been talking about Paleo 2.0 but I have to wonder if we're not reaching Paleo Dada or Surreal Paleo nowadays? Can't help but suspect that some of the blogposts are just piss taking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, no -- far from it! all the better blogs have been inundated with trolls for YEARS. you get rid of one nut-case and you think things are getting better, and then a new crop comes along! :-P I don't blame some bloggers for just getting sick of it and deserting the cause. it's really a pity, though, because people with a good understanding of physiology and WHAT WORKS could do a lot of good, if the blabbing nay-sayers would just crawl back into their holes.

      Delete
    2. Trolls are everywhere, it seems.
      Another issue that's been bugging me lately - I normally don't concede that Carbsane talks sense about anything, but her "Incestral Health" tag is becoming truer by the day it seems. How many online summits can be sold to people - hard to believe there's that many people out there with money to burn listening to the same talking heads appearing on one after the other after the other. Especially when you get two scheduled during the same time frame. Sean Croxton and Paleohacks selling coaching sessions to teach people how to do this bidnez to make money? Where does it all end??? Is the market for this stuff seriously that big. These days I find myself shaking my head in disbelief an awful lot of the time...

      Delete
    3. the worse the site, the more prominent the begging-bowl!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tess

    I agee in part to your comment “the worse the site, the more prominent the begging-bowl!” Some sites are working hard to educate and help people such as Jimmy Moore. He works full time at his blog and needs to earn a living. No one has to contribute or buy his books. He has helped me and some of my friends. Why anyone would contribute financially to EK’s and RN’s asylums is beyond me, it’s a crazy world.

    Kind regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) oh, i'm not saying that some DECENT blogs don't do it, too.... i'm reminded of CarbsaneR pointing out that -- ahem -- SOMEBODY had a fund-drive going to send her to the AHS not once but TWICE and didn't appear on either occasion....

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I wonder too why the people without any metabolic problem spent their time on nutritional blogs? OK, I get it, they feel great eating "real food", so what? I was recently told in a comment that I promote LCarbing here and there too enthusiastically, while it is not for everyone (which is basically true). It led to some self soul-searching. I really don't think I am getting too far, but who knows? It is easy to get biased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do respect that healthy young people want to STAY that way, and what they learn at Hyperlipid will surely help. :-) I just suspect that they could be having a lot more fun -- creating memories for later in life -- rather than sitting hunched over a computer in a darkened room so much.

      those of us that have found diet-and-lifestyle answers to our problems DO like to share ... and that also goes for those who succeed on a bit more carb or exercise than we do. I like to think, though, that our testimony and encouragement MIGHT get someone to try our way who has been afraid to or failed before.

      Delete