Wednesday, April 8, 2015

the heat is on

No, i didn't have to start the furnace -- it's the protein-inspired thermogenesis i'm talking about.

Last night a few hours after dinner, while I was reading myself to sleep in my blue-blockers, I started to feel warm.  Oh, that old annoying overheating problem!  :-P  I'd better get used to it, because to reach my weight goal, i'm going to have to be hitting the protein pretty hard for four weeks. 

In the winter, this is easy -- I just lower the thermostat.  We're between seasons now, when indoor comfort is adjusted with opening and closing windows, and running fans.  I guess i'd better refine my technique!

According to Donaldson's Strong Medicine regimen, one shouldn't drink anything after dinner, but I don't feel particularly guilty about breaking this rule.  Last night I broke out yet another bottle of sparkling mineral water, and soon I was comfortable again ... and my scale-experience this morning revealed a better result than I expected.  I weigh approximately what I did last fall before all the winter laziness, stress, and holiday eating.  I'm relieved:  I would have expected a larger number because I FEEL fat.  :-(  At least, that feeling will spur my determination to eat "perfectly."

And that overheated feeling that comes after meals ... at least i'm confident that it's a sign my metabolism is gearing up in response to intake -- what's SUPPOSED to happen!  Discomfort is easier to bear if we know there's a good reason for it.

5 comments:

  1. 'sparkling mineral water' can be very refreshing .....

    I'm still enjoying my 'virtual' walk around the wonderful botanical gardens you referred to in your previous post !

    Take Care and

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I THOUGHT you might like to see the MoBot, which inspired me to put that link in.... it's really an amazing place! and one of the interesting things about it is that it was a gift to Missouri from a transplanted Englishman who loved gardens (he also gave the city Tower Grove Park, which adjoins the botanical garden). Henry Shaw was an outstanding citizen!

      Delete
  2. hmmm, I've never felt hot after dinner, unless a bottle of red wine was involved. LOL Glad you figured it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there could be some histamine aspects to the "heat wave" but I get it even with the freshest meats, so I have to give at least some of the credit to the TEE. :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete