Tuesday, February 24, 2015

busy and bad

It's actually pretty easy to see how busy modern people get diet-induced ill health.  I've had a little taste of it recently.

We go through phases of doing "too much" on some days -- oh, compared to my daughter's schedule with work, amusement, and two pre-teen children, it's NOTHING.  :-)  But I always did find errand-running to be particularly wearying!  At this time of year, wearing a heavy coat and tensing up all over to walk safely on icy sidewalks, it's even worse.  My kind husband (knowing that trotting all over town is stressful for me) ends up bribing me out of the house with restaurant visits.

Errands + restaurant food = physical stress ... for a number of reasons.

Yesterday was a prime example.  We had an automotive checkup in the late morning, so we dropped Klaus off at his Audi doctor's-office and headed for lunch at a familiar restaurant where an acceptable low-carb meal can be expected.  It went downhill from there.

The "big turkey" sandwich turned out to be a bloody joke.  I've never seen a sandwich with less meat.

I ate a lot more carbs than I intended.  It was one of those occasions when i just shrug and go ahead and eat "poorly" but resolve to make up for it with fasting and exercise, because I knew I had plenty of movement scheduled for the afternoon.  But it just goes to show ya....

Doing this ONCE can be made-up-for.  Doing this constantly is health-eroding.  And busy people find themselves in similar circumstances far more often than I do.

It's all fine and dandy for health authorities to exhort people to do their own cooking, but there are times when one can't.  There are times when good intentions get derailed, too.  A person with a half-hour for lunch, who for various reasons has to get restaurant food, who is LET DOWN by the restaurant menu, just has to shrug and eat it anyway, and resolve to manage better the next time.  If this happens often, chaos ensues.

The rest of my day was pretty innocent, and I did put in a bit of mileage while out shopping, but I woke this morning with inflamed sinuses, an unhappy knee, and general water-retention.

I'll be spending today recovering ... and writing a review to lambaste that restaurant's deceit.  It's a second-location of a local eatery, at which we've had good experiences before -- perhaps the owner isn't aware that the manager is sullying his name!

11 comments:

  1. I love hamburger patties...with a side of onions and sometimes pickles. And cheese. (cheese isn't an issue for me.) So I rarely get stuck. Thankfully, these places all have forks at least, if not knives too, so I can eat that way. Bottom line, that's my go-to. But yes, it's a struggle at times. Hopefully some day soon we can look back like we look back to the days of rotary phones and typewriters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i often get bun-less burgers, but the turkey with cheese, bacon and tomato sounded good. :-( ...i ended up eating a handful of fries, in addition to the skimpy portion of meat.

      Delete
  2. Well hope you are recovering well, and it was great to see you logged in at the low carb diabetes forum earlier, thanks.

    I hate walking on icy pavements it makes you tense up and the muscles do sometimes object!!

    We do 'pick' which restaurants to eat in because unfortunately not all serve a reliable LCHF type of meal - although this is getting less and less now as those eating out are asking and demanding more. I still think there is a reasonable need for someone to open a LCHF cafe / restaurant and I'm sure many of us could suggest some great recipes.

    Hope Klaus was ok after his service ...... our car Tilda is ok 'til March (I've no idea where the name 'Tilda' came from, but it works. LOL )

    Take Care and ........

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, a lot of coffee and mineral water work wonders. today is ending better than yesterday did. :-) ...we've been naming our cars for decades -- somehow it just seems right! Klaus is just fine, as it was only routine maintenance time. what kind of car is Tilda?

      Delete
    2. 'Tilda' is a bright red Vauxhall Tigra - she's a great little car.

      All the best Jan

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about naming my car...maybe Yato, after a Japanese drifter-god who roamed the streets.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCnKoEgfP0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) i assume Yato is from the old country? the old Mazda that J drives when i take Klaus out of town doesn't have an appropriate name, i'm afraid -- someone (being bitchy) said she thought he looked like a frog, so i named him Kermit.

      Delete
    2. Yato started out as a god of war, so he was probably around from the Edo era or before.

      Delete
  5. In general stress makes it easier to react on impulses, and poor diet makes one more stress-prone, so it is easy to enter into a vicious cycle.
    May be most people don't regret being older because a young crowd has more stressful and busy lives. At least It is my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are LOTS of perks to being older -- i certainly wouldn't want to go back (though i wouldn't mind having my 40s body again...)!

      Delete