Wednesday, January 15, 2014

explanations for my findings

We got back home yesterday evening.  So considerate of J Stanton to have a new post out with a discussion of something I observed in myself!  :-)

There were a few meals during our trip when I ate EGREGIOUSLY.  Coincidentally, after them, I was inclined to wait quite awhile before wanting to eat again.  A bunch of mice were put on a comparable regimen, and whaddayaknow, they experienced something akin to what I found.  Intermittent fasting is MOST obviously helpful when the diet is far from optimal.

Read the Gnolls post -- it's another of the "a calorie is not a calorie to your body" series, which in my opinion is as good as the "why are we hungry" collection.  Stanton has pointed out many things like eating the same amount of food at different times of the day result in different energy utilization, and eating the exact same foods processed differently, ditto.  See, mouse and rat studies CAN be useful!  ;-)

I ate similarly over the yuletide holidays while visiting my daughter in Houston -- sometimes I was very good, and sometimes VERY bad -- and the difference in outcome is the same as I experienced last year when we spent our Christmas season on a train trip to Seattle.  All the enforced walking in N'Orleans and the historic area where we stayed in Washington made me burn a LO-O-O-O-OT of glycogen.  The ordinary activities of life in a place where I worked and played, but didn't WALK PLACES, caused the excess carbs to be stored instead.

I want to discuss a supplement that I used on both these trips, too, but I haven't had anything but coffee and water since lunch yesterday, and i'm dying for a great big breakfast steak.... 

7 comments:

  1. I nurse a coffee with heavy cream in the morning, and often don't eat anything substantial until the afternoon. I wonder if that counts as a "fast"? I know technically eating anything but coffee and water breaks the fast, but I don't really have the time to prep meals in the middle of the day. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm under the impression that the breakfast "fat fast" of cream in one's coffee is pretty much just a continuation of the kind of fat-burning one does during the night, and so "doesn't count" as a meal. I don't believe one is going to get an insulin-spike because of it! DRINKING a glass of cream is not the same, though -- that's a LOT of fat which will probably cause some storage, don't you think?

      Delete
    2. I also think that coffee with not too much cream but without sugar is not interrupting night fast too much, a compromise of some sort.

      Delete
    3. Maybe stating the obvious but yes definitely without sugar

      All the best Jan

      Delete
  2. "EGREGIOUSLY." Sorry Tess I am mystified by this word, I've done a 'Wiki' search plus been over to Gnolls.Org but I'm still mystified.

    However, so many friends enjoy coffee with cream ..... it may mean not so many cups of tea for me. Oh well, I can live with that LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dictionary.com defines egregious as "extraordinary ... in a bad way." :-) that nicely describes the fat club sandwich with sweet-potato fries I indulged in, on Monday....

      Delete
    2. Many thanks for enlightening me Tess. In my opinion a good word to describe that fat club sandwich LOL!

      Take Care

      All the best Jan

      Delete