Thursday, August 18, 2016

on the road again

Yep, AGAIN.  We've owed my MIL a visit for at least a year now, so are having a little extra fun while fulfilling a pleasant duty.  :-)  We took off on Monday (leaving Pip the canary, the pond fish, and the houseplants to the care of our erstwhile dogsitter), and headed north- and west-ward into Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota.

Along the way we saw field after field, mile after mile, state after state, of cornfield cornfield beanfield cornfield beanfield cornfield cornfield cornfield....  In one crop, maize provides ALL the major "neolithic agents of disease" -- grain, industrial-seed-oils, and the raw material of high-fructose corn syrup.

I like to think of it as the ultimate Native American revenge.

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels and hoping you can find some good, low inflammatory food choices along the way.

    I tried to get grass fed beef while at my college reunion in central Indiana at what was my local Marsh store when I had an apartment. The butcher laughed and said we had a few pounds but had to throw it out because it expired.

    The area is in an economic downturn, so I get it, totally.

    Take care,Tess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! We've reserved hotel rooms with kitchens as much as possible. I am trying to eat good meat and harmless veggies but you know how it is while traveling -- you get tired, and eat and drink things you NEVER would at home! :-)

      We certainly are getting plenty of exercise and natural vitamin D, though!

      Delete