Thursday, September 11, 2014

making it harder than it has to be

A "dependable" blogger whose work i read regularly, but who is not on my blog list, published something yesterday that i simply cannot let past me without a comment.  Concerning protein:  we need it (no contest);  we need more of it as we age (no disagreement, there);  "we need to consume the right amount at the right times" -- WHOA.

The article i just read doesn't really define what that amount is, or if there are times when it is better to protein-load and times when it isn't;  he just listed a few occasions when a person needs more than the usual ... whatever that may individually be.  But the phrase i quoted in the previous paragraph sent up warning flares for me -- what IS the right amount?  what IS the "right time"?

We're all grown-ups, here.  We ought to be able to sense when we've had "enough" protein (and fat) because our appetite is satisfied.  To imply that if we don't get the "right amount at the right times" we really need to work on it, screams micromanagement to me or even (dare i say it!) orthorexia.  Really!!!  "The right amount at the right times"???

Make sure you get enough complete protein (eat animal-protein with every meal).

Make sure you get even more when your body is stressed, because protein is the material used in repair and growth of tissues.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE DIFFICULT.  Why make it so?  Why alert us that we need the RIGHT amount at the RIGHT TIME?

No, this blog-post is alarmist, and encourages us to worry unnecessarily about what we're eating and when.  I call BS.

17 comments:

  1. Meh, some meals more protein, some meals less protein more fat. More carbs almost never!!!! I get automatic shut off signals from protein and carbs. Never will be an automatic shut off valve with carbs , so I manually adjust that one.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep. i start with about 6 oz. of meat for a meal, then let my appetite tell me if i need more fat than comes on it -- the amount of carb is rationed by my intellect! :-)

      Delete
  2. the whole macro thing...the very concept, is OCD at it's worst, and I'm OCD. I agree with Karen...meh to all the macro-managing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) i never considered myself OCD until my husband retired -- now i have to lecture myself to not worry so much about his little variations from my organizations.... i got really spoilt when he was working out-of-town!

      Delete
  3. Alarming readers may attract attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The right amount at the right time" is "when you're hungry and until you're full."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking back to those earlier years at school in our 'Domestic Science' lessons, as they were termed in those days, we were taught about 6ozs of meat per meal - then add the vegetables.

    I'm still doing that now - it's not complicated.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 oz. is what you were taught? :-) I took "Foods" in Jr. High one semester, and I still have some of the recipes we used, but I don't recall nutritional guidance. one of my favorite dessert recipes dates back to my Girl Scouts days -- Apple Crisp!

      Delete
    2. "6 oz. is what you were taught? :-)" It certainly was, I took Domestic Science at what used to be called GCE back in my school days, I was 16yr. My teacher Miss. Keane was a great teacher ....it shows she is one I remember! I got a Grade A which again at the time was the highest level (it's now A*) We were taught nutrition, household management and a lot more good general information ...over the years the course has been re-named and re-hashed perhaps not for the best.....call me old fashioned LOL but it was a good subject to take.

      All the best Jan

      Delete
    3. interesting! i have very foggy ideas about how the British educational system is different from my school experiences. it's really too bad that so many "life skills" classes are disappearing!

      i smiled to myself that you remembered her name -- yes, i recall a few names of some of the more important teachers in my life! Mr. McClintock (English), Mrs. Dods (Spanish), Mr. Coe (art), Mr. Walker (music).... :-D

      Delete
  6. I believe there is one new study that said older women need more protein than younger women...whatever. Eat to satiety and don't overthink it. Yes, you need more if you are already compromised..like ill or recovering from trauma like surgery. The "more" is still a questionable amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i tried to reduce my protein intake at one point within the last year -- it lasted about two days! :-) i've always had a strong appetite for red meat, and now i know that it was probably for both the protein and the good saturated fats!

      Delete
    2. Me too. I always had a naturally strong appetite for meats, especially red one and and other foods with an umami flavor. It is in our family anecdotes that when I tried to get some bed-time snack from my parents (which was normally not allowed) , I was always asking for a meat sandwich without a bread. Everybody thought it was funny. Some people are naturally-born LCarbers.

      Delete
    3. :-) "meat sandwich without bread" is what i often order in restaurants these days.... yes, LC really came naturally to me!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete