Monday, July 30, 2012

brisket's in the oven

I had a coffee-fast yesterday (with coconut milk).  The scale still hasn't budged.  My mind and my body are obviously having a very fun time stymying me and defying the laws of physics this week!  ;-)

The mind is working on sneaking up behind, today; yesterday was about ketosis and autophagy -- today is a protein re-feed.  I have a steak marinating to take care of it until the brisket is done.  Taking a hint from Mrs. Beeton, i sprinkled a tiny bit of allspice on with the salt and pepper, and sealed it in its foil coffin before popping it into a low oven.  I would have gone the whole way a la Flamande, but i don't have any carrots....  I like to half-cook a brisket, let it cool and slice it before putting it back in the oven to tenderize.  Trying to slice a TENDER brisket produces huge quantities of shredded beef, which is less desirable when you don't eat sandwiches anymore.

Interestingly enough, Mark's column today answers a question about carb re-feeds, and i was proud of him -- this guy is no simple-minded extremist, even if he is a jock!  ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Have a happy protein day Tess! I just stopped by MDA and enjoyed that article as well. It is nice to have bloggers who understand the complexities and dont get all old testament about things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps - saving my nickles for a notebook, I think blogging would be fun. I noticed my roommates ipad has auto-spellcheck, how considerate that would be for my readers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...just so its spell-checker doesn't do what people's smartphones occasionally do -- substitute the absolute WRONG word! ;-)

    ReplyDelete